Wednesday, November 24, 2010

If I knew then what I know now

This morning as I headed into school, I was talking to my mom about the urban legend assignment.

I told her about finding the increase in birth rates after the New York blackout in 1964 was not true, and the birth rate was consistent was five years worth during the same time frame.

Many scholars theorised that without television, people choose to entertain themselves in other ways.

She found it hard to believe because it was something she knew to be true, so dinner tonight will be interesting as I show her the numbers.

This experience reminded me of high school when my grade 11 history teacher asked why there was a population explosion... So after a few moments of no one saying a word, I put my hand up and said "Canadian winters are cold and people found ways to keep themselves warm." I was kick out of class for the day and my dad got the call from the teacher. I didn't get into trouble from my dad but was told never to do something like that in class again.

This just goes to show you get all the information before you speak or write.

1 comment:

  1. What does a student learn by being kicked out of a high school class?
    Only that high school teachers can kick students out of class.
    And that's one of the few lessons of high school that students remember.

    ReplyDelete